Dear FLL Coaches,
Congratulations to you and your team for making it this far! With only two weeks to go until the first regional qualifying tournament in Kingston, many teams will be completing their robot missions and innovation projects this week so they have time to practice their project presentation, Robot Design Executive Summary (RDES) and Core Values activity before the tournament. Please read below for some information to help you prepare for your upcoming events.
- Tournament Preparation: Event Guide & Webinar
- Robot Design and Core Values Judging Requirements
- Student Registration & Team Roster
- FLL Team Timeline
- Core Values
- Innovation Project
- Robot Design
- Tournament Preparation – Please click HERE to access the FLL Event Guide for Teams, a comprehensive guide that provides information to help prepare for your upcoming tournament, including event checklists, timelines and logistics and information about the judging process. For those who missed last week’s webinar about how to prepare for your first tournament, you can click HERE to access the recording.
- Robot Design and Core Values Judging Requirements – Preparing a Robot Design Executive Summary (RDES) or a Core Values Poster to help facilitate discussions during judging sessions is a requirement that varies from region to region in FIRST LEGO League. Please note that preparing a Robot Design Executive Summary IS a requirement but that the creation of a Core Values Poster IS NOT a requirement for Ontario teams.
- Student Registration & Team Roster – Please continue the process of adding students to the team roster. Click HERE for a video that explains how to invite parents to register their children for your team. The information at this LINK explains the registration process to parents but please note that anyone without access to a computer or email can instead complete the printable consent form (available through your dashboard in the FIRST Portal).
- FLL Team Timeline – These are just some guidelines to help you stay on track and to prepare for your tournament, the first of which is only 2 weeks away! For a more detailed description of recommended weekly tasks please refer to the Team Meeting Guide. You may also wish to consult the FIRST Steps Curriculum or the FLL Beginner’s Guide for alternative season planning resources.
- Core Values:
Discuss ways in which your team has demonstrated the Core Values throughout the season. Ask team members to give specific examples (both within and outside of FLL) that they could share with judges.
- Robot Design:
Modify attachments for and program the robot to consistently achieve at least 75% of your team’s Robot Game goals (this does not mean 75% of the total number of missions, just 75% of what your team hopes to accomplish during a 2.5-minute match!)
- Work on the Robot Design Executive Summary (RDES) that you will present to the Robot Design judges at the tournament (here is a link to the basic outline of the RDES)
- Innovation Project:
Write and practice the presentation that your team will use to share their project with judges
Use the rubrics and the Innovation Project Summary in the Appendix of the Team Meeting Guide to self-assess the team’s presentation
- Core Values:
You can also view last week’s recommended tasks in the archive at the following link:
Thank you for your hard work and dedication to the success of your team!