FIRST LEGO League Team Blast #6 (Oct 14, 2019)
Dear FLL Coaches,
We hope you had a wonderful long weekend and that you are looking forward to meeting with your teams again this week to continue preparations for the upcoming tournaments! Speaking of tournaments, please read below for some important information related to tournament registration:
- Tournament Registration (not including TDSB teams)
- Tournament Assignments (for TDSB teams only)
- Badge Ordering
- FLL Team Timeline
- Core Values
- Innovation Project
- Robot Design
- Tournament Registration (not including TDSB teams) – The deadline to indicate your tournament preferences is THIS Thursday, October 15 at 5:00 p.m. If you have not yet indicated your top three choices, please ensure that your team’s Lead Coach, to whom instructions about tournament registration were sent on Friday, October 4, 2019, clicks here for a list of Ontario tournaments at which your team can compete and then uses the link that corresponds to your “conference” or “division” (i.e., east or west) to register.
- Tournament Assignments (for TDSB teams only) – Last week, coaches of TDSB teams received confirmation of their tournament assignments, along with information about how to pay the tournament registration fees, the link to a form requesting additional information about your team and an introduction to the Tournament Director for your respective events. Please pay the team registration fees and complete the form using the team name you would like to see on all tournament-related documentation by Friday, October 25, 2019 .
- Badge Ordering – FIRST Robotics Canada has created cool badges that can be purchased to recognize the time that team members have devoted to participation in FIRST LEGO League. Bronze (1 year), silver (2 years) or gold (3+ years) badges can only be ordered at the following link until October 31, 2019 and there will not be subsequent ordering opportunities: archive.firstroboticscanada.org/shop.
- FLL Team Timeline – These are just some guidelines to help you stay on track and to prepare for your tournament, the first of which is only 5 weeks away! For a more detailed description of recommended weekly tasks please refer to the Team Meeting Guide. You may wish to consult the FIRST Steps Curriculum or the FLL Beginner’s Guide for alternative season planning resources.
- Core Values: Invite students to participate in a team-building activity and discuss how well your team is demonstrating the Core Values, both during and outside of meetings, and design team shirts
- Robot Design: Complete EV3 Robot Lessons 3 and 4, as outlined on the poster at this link (alternative robot building instructions can be found here)
- Innovation Project: Create a solution for Project Spark 3 and 4 using project prototyping materials and have students answer questions about their solution in their Engineering Notebooks
You can also view last week’s recommended tasks in the archive at the following link: